Meet Joshua Bennett…. Hoxton Square, London

You know, I really do meet the coolest people.  In the past few weeks I have meet some incredibly talented designers, musicians and other creatives, and one of them is the performance artist Joshua Bennett.  I was lucky enough to meet him by chance a couple of weeks ago on my way home from a meeting.  I was pretty sure I recognized him from Street Etiquette‘s unabashedly-cool Sartorial Sounds, but I thought that there was no way that this New Yorker would be in the middle of London on my tube line.  Well, I suppose stranger things have happened…(especially to me, especially in London…).

Joshua isn’t one to blow his own horn, so I’ll just go ahead do it for him.  Joshua has recited his original poetry at events such as the Sundance Film Festival, the NAACP Image Awards, The Kennedy Center’s “American Playlist” and President Barack Obama’s Evening of Poetry and Music at the White House.  He is also the voice of Ralph Lauren’s “The Rugby Poet’s Club”.  In case all of that isn’t impressive enough, Joshua has also written his first book of poetry, Jesus Riding Shotgun.

Oh, and he’s a pretty sharp dresser, too.

You can find out more about what Joshua is up to in England here.

For his moving White House performance (seriously, have tissues handy), click here.

You can follow him on Twitter @SirJoshBennett, and on his inspirational Tumblr, Square Dancing with Giants, as well.

For his profile on The Striver’s Row, click here, and for further links to Joshua’s performances, click here.

If you’re in New York City, you can catch Joshua live with other artists from The Striver’s Row at Le Poisson Rouge on June 19th.

28 Responses to “Meet Joshua Bennett…. Hoxton Square, London”

1. Ylenia says:

I have never heard about this guy but he looks pretty cool.
    I like the way you've pictured him, with such hard face, not pretending.
    wish my b/f could dress like him….

♥ Ylenia
    from longuette

2. Ylenia says:

I have never heard about this guy but he looks pretty cool.
    I like the way you've pictured him, with such hard face, not pretending.
    wish my b/f could dress like him….

♥ Ylenia
    from longuette

3. @Ylenia – Thanks for your comment :)) Glad you like it!

4. @Ylenia – Thanks for your comment :)) Glad you like it!

5. Lauren says:

Impressive guy and, yes, a pretty sharp dresser! I really like the first shot where he's adjusting his pocket square.

The Styleseer

6. Lauren says:

The Styleseer

7. @Lauren – Thank you!!

8. @Lauren – Thank you!!

Pretty cool! A very classic American look I think.

Angels Point of View – Street Fashion Photography

Pretty cool! A very classic American look I think.

Angels Point of View – Street Fashion Photography

11. @Angel – Yeah, definitely working the preppy look 🙂

12. @Angel – Yeah, definitely working the preppy look 🙂

13. cool-looking dude. i love the first picture.

14. cool-looking dude. i love the first picture.

15. @the nyanzi report – thanks!

16. @the nyanzi report – thanks!

17. Kate says:

Brilliant pictures, the first picture is amazing!

18. Kate says:

Brilliant pictures, the first picture is amazing!

19. @Kate – Awesome, glad you think so!! Thank you!!

20. @Kate – Awesome, glad you think so!! Thank you!!

21. I really love this guys outfit. and the combination with Carry all is an awesome look.

22. I really love this guys outfit. and the combination with Carry all is an awesome look.

23. Anna says:

my first thought was refreshing. great sense of style and confidence.

24. Anna says:

my first thought was refreshing. great sense of style and confidence.